_MG_5921The Camber Dress finished and here´s the details:

Camber Dress by Merchant and Mills
size 8
neckline 1cm/ 3/8″ smaller
sleeves 2,5cm/ 1″ longer
hemline 7,5cm / 3″ higher

The fabric is also by Merchant and Mills. It´s lovely linen waffle. I made the yoke lining in contrasting black cotton voilé because I wanted to reduce bulk. this dress was so easy and effortless to put together. Every step was a breeze and only made it better. I had my plans clearly laid out with this one and it really paid off. The pattern itself is very nice to begin with.
2_verticals_camber1And here´s the Tee version as well. They have very different look to each other but in fact are both very usable and go well with my other clothes. The tee has just the right amount of fit and comfort; it looks polished but feels very casual.
_MG_5920The perfection of this pattern lies in it´s details. The yoke construction is just genious because it hides all the seams and finishes the backside of neckline that might show. Merchant and Mills teaches to sew the bias tape a little bit differently than I have come across but it yields easily perfect (and flat) results. I had it wrong in my Bantam (which I haven´t shown by the way…) but this time I read the instructions better and got hang of it. The bias-taped front neckline is another feature I first judged too much but now wouldn´t leave out. And the side darts worked very well too, no alterations needed.
2_verticals_camber2All in all, making these Cambers was very gratifying and fun. I wish sewing wouldn´t be so quick because I value my time of making things in itself. Also I hope to keep my wardrobe compact. I have huge gaps in my summer wardrobe though but I assume it will take some time to make up my mind what I will sew next.

Thank you for all the nice comments on previous posts & have a nice weekend!

Tagged with →
Share →

8 Responses to Learning by doing

1. Kelley says:

Looks great! I’ve had the Camber Set dress on my to-sew list for a while – you reminded me why! Nicely done.

2. bellecitadel says:

Looks fabulous! I love the fabric on both garments and the neck finishing looks perfect. I love your comment about wishing sewing wasn’t so quick. I find myself thinking “I wish I could do this quicker”, haha. Still, I know what you mean.

• Niina Niina says:

I think weaving has had a profound effect on my concept of time and slowed things down radically… By the way, I loved your post on sewing books.

3. Claire says:

Your dress looks so great! You got the skirt balance spot on (which I find is hard to do when making a shift dress).

4. Valerie says:

Lovely !! I have finished my 1st Camber dress made in Merchant and Mills Chambray.Super easy pattern. I love the neckline and the way it is put together. I didn’t make a toile as the Chambray was not too expensive for a 1st try. I think I could have gone down a size as I have a narrow back but it still looks great. I will make a toile for the next one now I know how it looks on.The sleeves I did lengthen about 1″, also I made it just below my knees as I am an older woman. All in all a SUPER pattern and I can’t wait to make more.Lovely comfortable dress !!

• Niina Niina says:

I made similar type of sleeve adjustment that also worked for me. With lenght I did the opposite this time around. Merchant and Mills chambray is very nice & affordable fabric.