In few posts I will quickly run through the construction of our cottage (or cottages). Just to write down what´s happened this year on the plot. To be honest building the cottage is not what interests me that much because it´s so close to what I do for a living (drawing blueprints and selling building materials). But still it´s nice to see that things are advancing, albeit slowly.
This is sort of an allotment plot area but as you can see there´s permanent cottages. It´s actually mandatory to build a cottage in order to keep the plot. So to get on with it…
It was December when the concrete plinths were cast. Since then the weather has been very damp excluding only a few days. And the result is that they´re still not dry enough to cover the floors. We had such a bad luck with this one, otherwise the cottage would have been nearly finished by now. This photo was taken on January when we had the mildest weather I can recall. Even the ground never froze.
The cottage consists of two blocks: the bigger with living room with kitchen corner and tiny bedroom and the smaller with bathroom and storage.
By April the big mountain of clay was cleared out and the plot was roughly levelled around the plinths. It looked so much more spacious after that. Even though the plot is only 325 meters squared, you could start see how it can be divided into different areas. We dug small patches over where the kitchen garden would go.
At the end of April the cottages had their frames up and one could see how it sits in it´s place. The neighbour cottages have been built 20-25 years ago and due to new regulations our cottage rose a little higher. Also, it requires a few steps in order to reach the floor from the ground.
And now on to the garden. I had to order soil/compost in order to improve the clay soil. From this picture it looks like a huge amount but in reality a lot of it goes to level the ground and for the vegetable and flower patches. In fact I am afraid I have to get more but not until next year.
Being a beginner in gardening I was prepared to move that heap of soil for two days with my helpers. But it took us less than four hours, fast food lunch included! What a pleasant surprise!
In the beginning of May I had the raised beds ready for vegetables. Now that I think of it, I am very glad I got the pallet cages (for they were quite cheap) because they saved a lot of work and I am able to move things around next year when the garden is taking it´s form.
At the same time the frames were completed with roof trusses. It was also the time when I had to start working on the cottages because although I have a constructor to do the heavy lifting and hard work but in order to save money I try to do as much I can.
So it was time to start painting, first the ends of roof trusses. It was a happy night. I was listening to music, hanging on the ladder, putting on the first coat of paint and watching the sunset. From time to time I have been terrified with this project but more and more feeling very confident that this place will grow old with me. Of course you never know what happens but I am working towards that.
And in the middle of May I planted my first plant on the ground. It was chives that I got last Summer from my co-workers when I left to finish my studies. Well, I was planning on doing something else too during the year…