New weaving project on the big loom. This was a beginning of a second rug that I wove but I unravelled the beginning because it was too dull without colour.
Then I added colour but warp thread broke. I cannot see how that happened but of course that´s not a big deal.
After the sticky beginning I got on track. With blacks, dark grays and middle grays, I added random muted or pastel colours. This is the toned down version of the previous rug I will show you later. But I have to admit that toning down does not necessarily yield great results. I think I like the other better…
Somehow the palette of the rug was transferred to my sewing project. Here´s my first Alder shirtdess by Grainline Studio in the making. I like that pattern a lot but the fabric is terrible. It´s loosely woven double-gauze and with seams I am basically sewing striped 4-layered stack. You can imagine that it´s not easy to align the stripes. The garment is already finished but it was a struggle because of the choice of fabric. Well, learned another lesson there.
One reason I chose the pattern was because I decided to face my biggest fears when it comes to sewing: the collars, buttonholes and gathered hems. With buttonholes especially I have completely avoided making them after failing to match them in size a long time ago. But this time I refused to give up and decided that I can do them (and do them well) instead of letting buttons to decide the patterns I make. And I think they came out very good. After preliminary research I realized I had used the wrong threading in my machine and wrong presser foot earlier and after that I knew I could make it work this time around.
Oh well, a lot has happened to blog about but I think this will be the last post before Christmas. I hope all of you readers merry Christmas but not yet happy new year!